Thursday, August 6, 2015

August 5 Purple Archflower

This morning I went for a run in old Hoyt Park, admiring the tight valley of jewelweed next to limestone cliffs as I climbed to the top of the park. Mostly quiet, the sounds of chickadees and an indigo bunting came through the branches as I traveled and found myself in the small restored prairie on the east end. I was impressed by the wash of color, not having seen the spot since May. Compass and cup plants line the trail and purple coneflowers are everywhere, along with bee balm and goldenrod. The coneflower petals are fading, but the bright orange porcupine seed heads are as interesting as ever, especially with a sedge arch over the top. This is one of the best spots in the city for color right now if you need a strong dose of flowers in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment