Monday, January 12, 2015

January 10 Winter and Me

It's been wicked cold for two weeks now and it feels like winter has finally set in. As a historical-minded human, living in 2015, I often wonder how changes in our lifestyles affect our relationship to the season, and therefore our overall health. On the one hand, heated shelters, hot showers, safe stoves, and an abundance of food makes winter almost an afterthought my extremely privileged human psyche. I do not worry about freezing, starving, or finding shelter to make it through the night.  However, if my mind and body no longer need to adapt to 6 months of seasonal change, because I can live indoors in perpetual summer, am I missing part of the natural cycle of a year that makes me human? What about having artificial light to extend winter days until 10:00 or 11:00 at night?  It seems that our impact on the natural world has the greatest impact on our own lives, especially now, in winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment