Monday, January 12, 2015

January 11 Crows in Snows

I'll admit that I didn't travel far today - I may have watched a lot of sports - but on a walk I again saw crows doing curious things and stopped to watch. This one was on a roof, beaking into the gutters and definitely eating snow. Was it eating other things that it had cached in the gutter weeks or months ago? The Corvid family of birds (including ravens and blue jays) are experts are hiding away food and then finding it later on, as long as another corvid hasn't found it first. This crow flew down to the front lawn, still searching, and became vocal.  After a long while I finally looked across the street and saw three of its "friends," dangling from the gutters, pulling snow up into their beaks. Maybe it just wanted to introduce them to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment